Below are photos and content regarding select landmarks in Utica, New York. The region is very rich in landmark history. More landmarks will be highlighted in the future.
Photos Courtesy Mohawk Valley Pictures
Stanley Theater & Stanley Lobby
Built in 1928 to be a movie palace, the Stanley Theatre is now a regional performing arts center and is host to shows presented by Broadway Utica as well as several promoters.
M&T Bank (formerly the Savings Bank of Utica)
The M&T Bank Building on Genesee Street in downtown Utica was originally constructed as The Savings Bank of Utica. The bank building and its gold dome is a key Utica landmark.
Clark City Center Building
Initially home to the Robert Frasers Department store, and subsequently occupied by the FW Woolworth Co., the Clark City Center Building is today primarily occupied by Utica University business school’s undergraduate and graduate programs.
Adirondack Bank Building
Initially constructed as the First National Bank, this building was designed by noted architects, York and Sawyer, in 1926. The 16-story office building features Sullivanesque style details.
Grace Church was formed in 1838. Around 1847, Alfred Munson secured the services of architect Richard Upjohn to draw up plans for a new edifice and location for the church.
St. John’s Church
St. John’s was incorporated and celebrated its first Mass in the Utica Court House on January 1819. In 1821, the first St. John’s Church was built on Bleecker Street.
St. Joseph/St. Patrick Church
In 1965 St. Joseph (German) and St. Patrick (Irish) Churches’ parishes consolidated and together occupied the church building pictured, which had been St. Joseph’s.
Forest Hill Cemetery Chapel
The Forest Hill Cemetery chapel stands just inside the iconic Gothic Revival main gateway (1900-1901) of Utica’s historic Forest Hill Cemetery (1849-50).
New York State Office Building
Modern style office building built by the state of New York in 1971 is the center for state government operations in the Mohawk Valley.
Mohawk Valley Psychiatric Center Old Main Building
Mohawk Valley Psychiatric Center’s Old Main Building in Utica was the first state-run institution founded in New York to care for the mentally ill and among the first in the United States. It opened in 1843. The Greek Revival structure was designed by Captain William Clarke and its construction was funded by the state and by contributions from Utica residents.
The Munson Museum of Art Building is an international-style building designed by noted architect Philip Johnson and completed in 1960.
Utica City National Bank Building
Utica City National Bank was incorporated in 1838 and became the City National Bank in 1865.
This commercial building with limestone facing was built in 1905 and an addition added in 1938. The Sullivanesque Style characteristics can be seen in this building.
West End Brewery/Utica Club
West End Brewery survived Prohibition by producing Utica Club Soft Drinks and several other non-alcoholic drinks, and was the first in the nation to obtain a license after Prohibition.
First Presbyterian Church
The First Presbyterian Church on Genesee Street in Utica and its related McKinnon House are notable for their early twentieth century Georgian Revival style design and architecture.
More Utica Landmarks
Interesting publications on Utica Landmarks that you can download and print as pdf files.
If you find this content useful or interesting, please consider a small donation.
Why donate? Previously the literature herein was sold to support our fundraising efforts. We are now offering it free of charge to inform and entertain potential supporters of the Landmark Society of Greater of Utica. No donation is too small.
Our Peers in Preservation
We are proud to join the fine institutions listed below and others in efforts to preserve and protect our local and New York landmarks and history.